Thursday, January 04, 2007

Rice Cakes?!?

So last night I was making dinner and one of the recipes called for crushed rice cakes. As I'm crumbling them, Grayson was at my feet screaming for one. I tried to explain to him that he wouldn't like them, they have no taste, etc., etc., but he continued begging for one. So I plopped him down in his seat and gave him a piece of rice cake. And you know what? He LOVED it! Yes, he loved it. I also gave him some V8, something I found out he liked a few weeks ago when I gave him some on a fluke, and he drank away. (By the way, the V8 is the low-sodium version, which has just a little more sodium in it than a glass of milk.)

The best part of the night was, however, when he decided he wanted more to eat. A few months after Grayson was born, a friend of ours gave us a book of sign language for babies. I was devoted to signing everything to him, all the time, but he never seemed to care. When he started talking so much I kind of abandoned the signing since he was communicating pretty well. Last night when I asked him if he wanted more, he answered by signing it!! I was more excited about that than when he first started saying words regularly. Finally, all that work had paid off. I'm now wondering if he'll start signing more since from what I've read it's like a light switch flipping in their heads and they tend to want to learn more and more. I guess we'll see. In the meantime, here are a few pictures of him enjoying his V8 and rice cakes.

Notice the Rice Cake in His Mouth

Taking a Drink of V8

2 comments:

Erica said...

Oh, how cute! Grayson is so smart, and you are so patient to teach him the signs - I gave up after milk, eat and drink, and only Cassie signs, and she only does milk.

I'll have to try the low-sodium V8, cuz she won't eat many vegetables - great idea!

Looking forward to seeing you guys next weekend, hopefully.

Anonymous said...

V-8 and rice cakes? Who would have guessed that Grayson would be a health food junkie (wink)? I've used sign language a lot with children I've worked with. I think it's great that you and Grayson are having success with it!