Friday, August 10, 2007

Reading is Fundamental

That's what they always say, right? Well, I'm happy to report that it seems to be becoming fundamentally important in our home.

Reading has always been important to me and it's something I greatly enjoy doing. I have always wanted my children to feel the same way. I can remember begging my mother to read to me when I was little and I always hoped I would be on the receiving end of that begging when I became a parent. This has definitely become the case, but I have also noticed that Grayson enjoys reading books by himself as well.

When he and I are home all day, I try to split our time between his playroom and his bedroom. Lately I've been encouraging him to play by himself so he's not always so dependent on me for entertainment. Most recently he has started to go in his room and close the door. I'll usually allow him his "privacy" for a few minutes and then I go in to check on him. Well, today when I checked, this is what I found:He had pulled half of his books off the shelves and had them spread out all around him. As you can see, he's enjoying a good book in the picture. After I caught him, we proceeded to read a few together. Does it get any better than this?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post and accompanying picture! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Anne C. said...

I love that he closed the door. He's such an individual, needing his own space. Wonderful that he spent his private time "reading!"