Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The Holidays Are Behind Us Once Again

Even though Dominic and I are in the middle of construction, we chose to still host our family on Christmas Day. As my brother said, this was the 50th consecutive year Christmas has been hosted in this house. The house may not be the same as it was 50 years ago, but it’s nice to know we were able to keep up the tradition. Luckily it hadn’t rained in a few days, so the mud had turned to dirt for the day and it made it much easier for people to get in. I’ve started posting construction photos for you to view if you’re interested. You can click here to view them and the link is also listed on the side of the blog.

As for the rest of the holiday week, we had kicked it off by visiting Dominic’s sister Maria in Baltimore and had dinner with his family. Grayson had a blast playing with his cousin Paul that day. I survived singing in the Christmas Eve cantata at church. I was very worried I was going to get sick, but that actually came later in the week, luckily.

Grayson enjoyed opening his gifts on Christmas, but I think he was more excited about tearing the paper rather than the gifts themselves. He had been so excited when we put up the tree I thought he would really love to see all the gifts Christmas morning, but the first words out of his mouth after he woke were “I wanna eat.” Go figure.

His favorite gifts were definitely his ride-on gator (which we bought from my sister), his football helmet (he hasn’t wanted to remove it), and his iPod player that is a stuffed elephant.
Unfortunately, Grayson got rather sick the next day at my mother’s house during her open house. This started a very rough week for us. Although I survived our first stomach virus, I’m still sick today and it made New Year’s Eve a little harder for me to handle (but I was still up until 1:00 AM), I’m still very miserable and we missed our gym class today because I just didn’t feel up to leaving the house. Hopefully this will pass soon and we’ll be back to normal.

3 comments:

Anne C. said...

Gracious, Laura, I had no idea your remodel was so extensive. I remember only going to your house a few time. Once, I remember climbing a big pine tree that was in your front yard, and the other time was for your thirteenth birthday slumber party (when Dani Stinson and I decided to be friends and not enemies because we both liked the Beatles).
Living out of your normal routine is surely adding to the stress of things right now. Hold on, it can't be too much longer! :)

Erica said...

Merry late Christmas and Happy New Year! Grayson looks adorable in his steelers outfit, I'm glad you had a nice x-mas before getting sick. Hope you're all well soon, and good luck with renovations.

Mel said...

What a great family picture! Hope everyone is well soon, and I hope the renovations proceed smoothly. That's neat to have had Xmas in the house for 50 years.