Monday, July 16, 2007

A Fun Weekend

Maybe I'm a little mushy right now because I just lost my dog or maybe it's for some other reason, but as I reflect back on the weekend I've had, it just brings a smile to my face.

When Dominic and I moved out of Baltimore City and into my parent's house (after they moved, of course), the only people we knew in the area were my family and a couple friends who were still here from high school. That's it. I was still driving down to Baltimore a few times a week to help at Legg Mason, so I was able to be with my friends regularly, but all that ended when Grayson came home just a few short weeks later.

I then felt very alone. Of course I had my son and Dominic. But suddenly I was staying home with a baby and had seemingly lost all contact with my previous "adult" world. It seems so strange to look back on that feeling now.

This weekend brought together a number of new worlds I have found since moving out of the city. On Saturday, Grayson and I went to the birthday party of a high school friend's son. Grayson had a great time, we even rode on a little steam engine train in the neighborhood, and he ate. A lot! It was great to spend time with my friend and to watch the boys play.

Sunday morning, Grayson, Dominic, and I were in church. Growing up, my church was a very important part of my life. I'm now heavily involved again, as a member of the board, a nursery helper, and a member of the women's Sunday School class. I'm so glad Grayson will be able to grow up in the same community - feeling very loved.

Last night, however, was the perfect ending. One of the friends I met through The Little Gym hosted a picnic in a park in Frederick as a thank you to those of us who had recently made meals for her and her family after the birth of their second child. I watched Grayson play with his friends and the rest of us just talk and I was very happy and amazed at how much had changed in just 20 months.

Do I miss my previous adult life? Sure, every now and then. I miss the freedom of coming and going whenever I wanted. I miss living in the city and walking to the restaurants and shops in our neighborhood. I miss sitting on the couch all day and watching Lifetime every now and then. But do I love my new "grown-up" life? Definitely!
Chilling in the Park!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I can so relate to that, as I sometimes look back to my old life and miss living in the city, and doing my things whenever I wanted. But I also love my new grown up life and the friends I made here in Frederick. Imagine us not having these kids, we would never have met. And btw that is probably my new favorite picture of Grayson. What a HUNK!