Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My Top 10

The other day, I was in Toys R Us buying some new toys for our church nursery when I noticed a woman registering for baby items. She had brought a friend along who was helping her decide what to put on the registry. I thought to myself, “Oh, how I wish I would have had that opportunity. The chance to think through the items I would need for a new baby and to have someone help me.” And then I heard the friend’s advice. It stunk. She was randomly having her friend register for baby rattles and toys – items she’ll get plenty of without the help of a registry – and seemed clueless herself, although her friend clearly trusted her opinion.

I was very lucky, overall. The day after we found out we had been chosen by Grayson’s birthmother, my nephew’s wife went out with me to Target and helped me get the basic essentials. She was an absolute blessing and gave me excellent advice! After we brought Grayson home, we were given three different baby showers and we received perfect gifts. I really didn’t have a clue what I would need and what I didn’t need, but I got rather lucky because I received items I would use later rather than those items you only use for the first couple months of a baby’s life.

So, I was inspired to put together my Top 10 Baby Item List (they aren’t ranked by importance). I didn’t include the basics like bottles or diapers because every parent and every baby has a preference for those. I just included those items I wouldn’t have wanted to live without, as well as those items I continue to use. I’m sure many of you will have your own opinions, and if you so desire, please share them with me in your comments. I’m sure I haven’t remembered everything that has been so helpful during these 20 months of motherhood.

And here you go…

The Maya Wrap – I always knew the Maya Wrap was something I wanted when I brought home my baby. Unfortunately, you can only purchase them on-line and I didn’t have the chance to do that before Grayson came home. I bought one a couple months later and used it continually. I still wear it every now and then, but Grayson is so big, it’s a little difficult. I definitely plan to use it with our next baby. Oh, and as an FYI, I got the adjustable pouch not the full wrap because I didn’t want all the extra material.

The Bumbo Seat – I really can’t rave about this thing enough. If you are short on space, the Bumbo Seat is the best thing to use instead of a high chair. And really, even if you have plenty of space, you really don’t need a high chair. We’ve never had one (see the Booster Seat). Also, I took it with me everywhere. Grayson sat in it at three months old and he sat at tables with us in restaurants, I used it at our church nursery, I used it when I made dinner and he watched, etc., etc. This was one of the best things ever!!!

A booster seat – It probably doesn’t matter which one you use, we have this one, but the booster seat is the greatest thing as soon as your baby can sit by himself. Grayson has always eaten at the table with us, a great habit to start early. I also have an extra one that I keep in my truck so he can sit and eat wherever we go. Having one on the go has really come in handy for me because it allows me to sit and eat without having to worry about him. As an FYI, my sister and I just discovered a very cool travel version. I can’t say anything specific about it since I’ve never used it, but I wish I had found it way back when.

Plastic bibs – Grayson was always in a bib when he was a baby because he was usually spitting up and when the spit up is only formula (or breast milk) those cloth bibs are just fine. But as soon as he started eating baby food and I needed something that actually protected his clothes from actual food, the cloth bibs were no longer any good. They stained very easily and since babies are pretty messy in general, that was a pain. One of my friends at church introduced me to the plastic bib. We have the Dura-Bibs. I can easily clean them and the ones I use have a fold down bottom, so you can get to all the food that builds up. I also throw them in the top of the dishwasher occasionally.

An Exersaucer – This gift was one of the best I received!! Its purpose is pretty self-explanatory, but Grayson was able to stand or sit in it and he played with all the toys. Even after he no longer needed it for support, he continued to play with it from the outside. Its “usage life” may not be as long as everything else I’ve mentioned, but it was still a great thing to have and I wouldn’t want to have a baby without it.

This has gotten a little long, so I think I’ll wait to post my other five. I’m sure you’ll be waiting on pins and needles!!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Laura, I definitely don't mind you reading my blog and or commenting. That is what it's there for. I just wanted to say, don't forget to add, Tylenol, Gas Medicine, and Diaper ointment! Those are three things I could not have lived without. I am sorry that you didn't get the same experience, but looks to me as if Grayson is a lucky baby!!

Laura F. said...

Thanks, Michelle. Excellent point!! Our favorite diaper ointment was from Burt's Bees. Not only did it work great, but it smelled good too. :-)